Skip to main content
Indiana Resource
Child Support Attorneys
Cordell & Cordell divorce attorneys exclusively practice family law with a focus on men’s divorce.

Indiana’s New Child Support Law

A new Indiana child support law lowering the age of emancipation will affect current and future child support orders implemented by Indiana courts.

Effective July 1, 2012, children are now considered emancipated for purposes of child support at age 19 as opposed to age 21. This affects two statutes, Ind. Code 31-14-11-18 (Paternity actions), and Ind. Code 31-16-6-6 (Divorce actions).

Specifically, the law changes two major aspects of support for children: 1) payment of child support to the custodial parent, and 2) contribution to post-secondary education expenses for children.

Under the new law, a parent paying child support may modify their order to terminate support for a child once the child reaches age 19. This change puts Indiana child support guidelines in line with surrounding states that have used age 18 or 19 as the age of majority for some time now.

For the average child support payor, this means that you will not be obligated to pay support to the opposing party for your minor child after age 19, even if that child is in college and still dependent on his or her parents for financial support.

This new law takes into account the circumstances of many families where the child lives at college away from home and spends very little time living with the custodial parent throughout the year.

This change may not be a huge impact on a child support payor’s obligation if he had filed a petition to modify his child support order when his child moved out to attend college (usually age 18), as child support owed directly to an ex for the limited weeks the child is home from college during the year is often minimal.

However, even a minimal weekly payment can add up over two years, so it can be beneficial to file a Petition to Emancipate the child and modify your child support order (or terminate it if your order is only for one child) if your child is age 19 or above.

If you have a current support order, and your child will soon be age 19 or older, you should consult a mens divorce attorney to review your options regarding emancipating your child and modifying your current support order once the new law takes effect July 1.

Please remember that you should file a Petition to Emancipate in order to officially have your child declared emancipated and modify your Indiana child support order. Your child support will not be modified by the court unless you request that the court does so.

Indiana Child Support Guidelines for College Expenses

Regarding college expense contributions, the new Indiana child support law requires children and parents to petition the court for contributions of college expenses from the non-custodial parent before the child turns 19. This, however, will NOT impact children who are age 19 or older when the new law takes effect. The law allows for children who are 19 prior to July 2012 to petition the court for college expenses until they reach age 21.

For all children under age 19 at the time the law is enacted, the child or either parent must file a petition with the court requesting contributions from the parents for college expenses before age 19, or they will lose their ability to request those contributions from the parents.

Thus, it is important for any parent with a child approaching college age to think now about how they are able to pay for college, and discuss their options with an attorney in order to plan accordingly.

Previously, parents and children could petition the court for contribution to college expenses until the child reached age 21. If the parents and children cannot agree on a solution, either parent (or the child) may file a petition with the court to determine the division of post-secondary education expenses.

Even if you do agree with the other party on how to divide college expenses, it is important to file the agreement with the court, in case either party decides to revoke their informal agreement. If the informal agreement is revoked, and the child is over age 19, you cannot pursue contribution to college expenses moving forward under the new law.

Indiana Child Support Law Summary

In summary, the new law changes the age of emancipation to age 19 for child support orders in effect after July 1, 2012, and also requires children under age 19 to request contribution for college expenses through the court by the time they reach age 19 if they want their parents to be obligated to contribute to those expenses. The change in Indiana child support payments may be minimal on a weekly basis, but the amount saved can add up over a two-year period.

With proper planning, the provisions of the new law regarding payment of post-secondary education expenses can help families look ahead on college costs, avoiding one party seeking retroactive contribution to college expenses from the other party, and thereby allow all parties involved to pay for those expenses as they arise for the minor child pursuant to whatever order or agreement they reach regarding those expenses.

If you have any questions regarding how the new law will impact your specific case and child support order, Cordell & Cordell has several offices in Indiana serving clients in all Indiana counties.

Frequently Asked Questions About Indiana Child Support

Frequently Asked Questions

At what age is a parent no longer financially responsible for child support payments?

Under the new child support law in Indiana, the parent is no longer responsible for child support payments after the child turns 19.

Do you still have to pay child support if the child goes to college?

You will not have to pay child support to the custodial parent or child after the child turns 19, even if that child is in college.

Can a parent emancipate their child?

In Indiana, a parent can emancipate their child after the age of 19 in order to not have to pay child support.

A child can also be emancipated at the age of 18 if they are not attending secondary school or post-secondary school and they are financially supporting themselves or are capable of doing so.

How do I emancipate my child?

Your child will be automatically emancipated once they turn 19 unless there are specific court orders already in place. If a child is not yet 19, a parent can emancipate them through the court’s approval if they are at least 18 years old, are not attending secondary or post-secondary school, and they are able to financially support themselves.

Frank Murphy

Edited By Frank Murphy

Chief Compliance Officer
Frank Murphy

Frank Murphy is the Chief Compliance Officer and an Executive Partner at Cordell & Cordell. His responsibilities include oversight of the Firm’s compliance with Legal and Ethical obligations as well as contributing to the day-to-day operations of the Firm as an Executive Partner.

Indiana Resource Articles

    lawyer meeting client for consultation

    Indiana Family Law Offices

    We have 200+ attorneys serving 35 sates.
    Connect with a local Cordell & Cordell attorney for accurate, state-specific legal advice on divorce, custody, and spousal support issues.
    cordell icon white

    Why Hire
    Cordell & Cordell?

    Men hire Cordell & Cordell because the firm’s entire focus is on aggressively championing the rights of men and fathers through divorce. Our attorneys understand how the deck is often stacked against guys in family law and are committed to leveling the playing field by providing the legal guidance and resources needed to give them a fair chance at success.
    Client Satisfaction Rating
    Years In Business
    Clients Serviced