Skip to main content
Office Locations
Cordell & Cordell’s Wisconsin divorce attorneys exclusively practice domestic litigation and handle Wisconsin fathers’ rights issues.
Want to Receive More Information?

"*" indicates required fields

Step 1 of 2

Wisconsin Practice Areas

Our family law attorneys are located in Madison and Milwaukee and are licensed to practice law throughout the state.

With our unique focus on men’s family law, our divorce attorneys have a complete understanding of the challenges men face in the family court system. Cordell & Cordell is a proven partner men can count on.

To schedule an appointment with one of our Wisconsin divorce attorneys, call 1-866-DADS-LAW or your local office. Explore answers to frequently asked questions about divorce in Wisconsin.

Frequently Asked Wisconsin Questions

What are the grounds for filing for divorce in Wisconsin?

In Wisconsin, the court must find that the marriage is irretrievably broken. This finding is usually based on the petition for the divorce and one or both parties’ testimony at the final hearing.

If one party contests the grounds, the court is still required to make a finding that the marriage is irretrievably broken if it finds no reasonable prospect of reconciliation.

How much will my Wisconsin divorce cost?

Since each case is different, the cost of a Wisconsin divorce varies by each case significantly. The cost depends on many factors including the number of hearings, the types of issues included, the nature of assets of one or both parties, whether a guardian ad litem is appointed to represent the children’s best interests, and whether the parties have reached agreements on some or all issues.

How much does a divorce lawyer cost in Wisconsin?

The cost of a divorce in Wisconsin will often include both attorney and filing fees. However, the cost of each case will vary largely depending on if both parties are agreeable, if children are involved, and in settling the division of marital property.

How much does an uncontested divorce cost in Wisconsin?

While the exact cost of a divorce will fluctuate based on the particulars of the case, an uncontested divorce in Wisconsin can cost significantly less than a contested divorce.

Can I annul my marriage in Wisconsin?

Legal annulments are granted only for very specific reasons in Wisconsin. The court may grant an annulment if it finds:

  • A party lacked capacity to consent to the marriage, because of age, mental incapacity, or the influence of drugs or alcohol;
  • A party was induced to enter the marriage by force, duress or fraud within one year of obtaining knowledge of the fraud;
  • A party lacks the physical capacity to consummate the marriage by sexual intercourse and this was not know by the other party; or
  • The marriage is prohibited by law.

Even in cases where the court cannot grant a legal annulment, the parties may be able to pursue an annulment through their church in addition to the divorce.

Not finding the answer you are looking for? Browse our Wisconsin Divorce Questions.

Who will get custody of our child?

In Wisconsin, custody refers to decision-making authority, and it is most common for custody to be held jointly between the parents. Pursuant to statute, the court is required to presume that joint legal custody is in the best interest of the children.

It is in the present best interest of the minor children of the marriage for the parents to have joint legal custody if both parents are fit and proper persons to have joint legal custody.

Placement means the right of a parent to have the child physically placed with that party and has the right and responsibility to make, during that placement, routine daily decisions regarding the child’s care, consistent with major decisions made under the custody designation. The placement order addresses where and with whom the child actually spends time.

Under most circumstances, when a court sets a parenting schedule in a placement order, it is required to set a schedule that allows the children to have regularly occurring, meaningful periods of physical placement with each parent that maximizes the amount of time the child may spend with each parent.

Real-Life Experiences
Reviews from Our Past Clients
“It took years for me to come to a decision to end my marriage. I sought a law firm that is focused and prepared for trial if need be, and seeks to give me the best outcome possible. Cordell and Cordell has performed very well and is very supportive during this difficult time. I have full confidence in my representation and recommend them.”
– Mason B.
“Divorce is hard enough without trying to find a Lawyer who will truly work for you. I had several conversations with Lawyers that seemed only interested in winning somehow. No one wins in a divorce. I should have went to Cordell & Cordell first so I would have avoided a lot of headaches. I met a group of people that genuinely care for you.”
– Mark L.
    single day enjoying time with his children

    Wisconsin Resources

    Laws can vary from state to state.
    Connect with a local Cordell & Cordell attorney for accurate, state-specific legal advice on divorce, custody, and spousal support issues.
    cordell icon white

    Why Hire
    Cordell & Cordell?

    Men hire Cordell & Cordell because the firm’s entire focus is on aggressively championing the rights of men and fathers through divorce. Our attorneys understand how the deck is often stacked against guys in family law and are committed to leveling the playing field by providing the legal guidance and resources needed to give them a fair chance at success.