Milwaukee Divorce Lawyers For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights


Cordell & Cordell is a partner dads can count on during one of the toughest challenges of their lives. The family law attorneys at our Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office are dedicated to helping men with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

Our mission is to give men the legal support they and their children deserve both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Divorce takes an emotional toll on everyone, no matter how tough you are. The decisions you make during this time will have an enormous impact on you financially for the rest of your life.

More importantly, your level of involvement in your children’s lives can also be affected. Our attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court.

We know how critical this transition is and promise to walk you through each step of the process while doing everything possible to protect what’s most important to you.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Since 1990, Cordell & Cordell has fought against numerous stereotypes that men and fathers face in the family court system. Our firm’s focus on men’s divorce gives our attorneys a unique understanding of the challenges men face in a Milwaukee family law courtroom.

Despite battling a system that seems predisposed against them, Cordell & Cordell has risen to establish ourselves as a partner men can count on.

Note: Underground parking is available below the building.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Milwaukee Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Milwaukee to file for divorce?

In order to file for divorce in Milwaukee, you must have lived in the state of Wisconsin for the preceding six months and in Milwaukee County for at least 30 days.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Milwaukee before a divorce can be granted?

There is a 120-day waiting period for all divorce cases in Wisconsin. This does not necessarily mean that you will be divorced on the 121st day.

Rather, the length of time will depend on a variety of factors including the ability of the parties to resolve issues outside of court and the court’s calendar.

How can I serve my spouse in Milwaukee? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

A summons must be personally served on your spouse and proved either by affidavit of the spouse or the third party server.

If the spouse cannot be personally served with reasonable diligence, a copy of the summons may be left at the spouse’s usual dwelling in the presence of a competent family member at least 14 years of age.

If all else fails, the summons may be published in a newspaper. In Milwaukee, the official newspapers for publication are the Daily Reporter and the Community Journal.

In cities of 250,000 people or less, the summons must appear in a publication likely to give notice in that area. If the spouse’s address is known, a copy of the summons and petition should be mailed prior to publication.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Milwaukee?

You will need a Summons (unless joint petition), a Petition, and a Confidential Petition Addendum.

Upon filing the papers necessary to commence an action for divorce, the petitioner must proceed immediately to the office of the Family Court Commissioner (Room 707) to obtain a deadline for administrative dismissal, and, where applicable, an order requiring attendance at parent education.

The petitioner must obtain from the office of the Family Court Commissioner either (1) the Notice and Order – Administrative Dismissal Date or (2) the Notice and Order – Administrative Dismissal Date & Requirement to Attend Parent Education Program (for cases with minor children).

Where do I file for divorce if I live in Milwaukee?

You need to file for divorce at the Milwaukee County Circuit Court Clerk of Courts located at 901 N. Eighth St., Room 104, in Milwaukee.

How much are filing fees at the Milwaukee County Courthouse?

A Petition without request for maintenance or child support costs $188. A Petition with request for maintenance or support costs $198.

Are there any Milwaukee County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Click the link for a complete list of all Milwaukee County Circuit Court Family Division rules.

Milwaukee Client Testimonials


“[My attorney] has prepared me with all the alternatives. The firm is very well run … I can see why it’s growing so fast. [My attorney] is a very good attorney; I’m so glad I have him. [My attorney] was personable, and it made the situation easier to work with.”


“I was extremely and pleasantly surprised by [my attorney] and the firm. Due to the size, I was afraid of becoming just a number. I was surprised at the amount of attention that was devoted to me and my case. I will likely retain Cordell again in the near future and would absolutely love to work with [my attorney] again.”


“It’s been tough dealing with what I’m going through, but it’s been nice to know that I have someone who cares and is on my side. He is very responsive and comforting.”