Saint Charles, MO Divorce Attorneys For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights

Saint Charles

Cordell & Cordell is a partner dads can count on during one of the toughest challenges of their lives. The family law attorneys at our Saint Charles, Missouri office are dedicated to helping men in the greater St. Louis, MO area with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

Our mission is to give men the legal support they and their children deserve both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men in Saint Charles, MO

Divorce takes an emotional toll on everyone, no matter how tough you are. The decisions you make during this time will have an enormous impact on you financially for the rest of your life.

More importantly, your level of involvement in your children’s lives can also be affected. Our attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court.

We know how critical this transition is and promise to walk you through each step of the process while doing everything possible to protect what’s most important to you.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Since 1990, Cordell & Cordell has fought against numerous stereotypes that men and fathers face in the family court system. Our firm’s focus on men’s divorce gives our attorneys a unique understanding of the challenges men face in a Missouri family law courtroom.

Despite battling a system that seems predisposed against them, Cordell & Cordell has risen to establish ourselves as a partner men can count on.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Saint Charles Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Saint Charles to file for divorce?

Residency requirements are specific per state statute. The general rule allows a party to file a Petition for divorce in the county that he resides or the county that the other party resides.

Technically, if an individual has lived in the county for 1 day, then that person can file for divorce; however, that general rule is subject to several exceptions.

If the Respondent argues that the Petitioner should have filed the divorce in a different county, then the divorce action could be transferred to a county that has more contacts to the marriage.

A judge will generally transfer a case to a different county if:

1. Within the 90 days prior to filing of the Petition the other party to the case resided in a different county with minor children who are subject to the divorce proceedings; and

2. There are significant ties to another county, such as marital residence or other property is located in another county.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Saint Charles County before a divorce can be granted? How long will a divorce take?

There is a waiting period before the divorce may be granted. This time frame is set by state statute and is 30 days from the date that the Petition was filed.

The time that a divorce takes to complete is difficult to estimate. You must properly file paperwork with the Circuit Clerk and your case must be placed on the judge’s docket.

Sometimes judges are overloaded with work and your case is not scheduled for several months from the date you filed. This delay in scheduling can cause a delay in your divorce becoming finalized.

If you have an attorney and both parties are able to agree to the division of debts, assets and child support (if children are involved), then the process is generally faster and can take less than 60 to 90 days.

How can I serve my spouse in Saint Charles County? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

There are several methods to serve your spouse. The quickest and easiest way is to request a special process server. This person is hired by you to seek out and find your spouse and serve her with the Petition for Dissolution.

You may also use the local sheriff’s office for service. However, the sheriff’s department will generally not wait around your wife’s work for several hours if she is trying to avoid service.

If you are unable to locate your spouse, you may serve him or her by publication. State law requires that you provide notice in a newspaper of general circulation in a county where the civil action is commenced once a week for four consecutive weeks.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Saint Charles County?

You will need to file a Petition, an Income and Expense Statement, a Property Statement, a Family Court Information Sheet, and a Certificate of Dissolution.

Where do I file for divorce?

You need to file for divorce at the 11th Judicial Circuit Court located at 300 Second St. in Saint Charles.

How much are filing fees in Saint Charles?

The filing fee for a divorce in Saint Charles County is $125. The filing fee does not include the cost to serve the other party.

Are there any Saint Charles County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Each county has a separate set of local rules. These local rules outline how much time you have to respond to certain motions or to prepare and file certain documents.

If you are not aware of the timing of when you need to respond or prepare basic forms you could negatively impact the outcome of your case.

As far as the laws are concerned, every county follows Missouri’s Statutes on Family Law. However, the interpretation of the laws is up to the judge that is assigned to your case.

Certain counties are known for frequently awarding maintenance while others are not. This is not because that county follows a different set of rules.

The reason behind the diverse outcomes in similar situations is due to individual judges interpreting the laws in his or her unique way.

Saint Charles Client Testimonials

"[My attorney] is very nice and knowledgeable. He got some things done that I never thought we'd be able to accomplish. I thought he handled every step very well and professionally. He was patient with me and kept me very well informed throughout my case as well."
"Mr. Williams did an excellent, excellent job. Mr. Williams was able to get the other side to settle which saved me a lot of money and stress. Mr. Williams was aggressive and is a very smart attorney. Very happy for using Cordell & Cordell."
"[My attorney] has always taken care of me. I'm very pleased. She's always there to answer my questions or give advice when issues come up. She's the best!"
Show More