Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights


When a marriage ends it ushers in a world of uncertainty. Divorce clouds your financial future, it alters your living situation, and it can even affect the relationship you have with your kids.

With the stakes so high, you need a partner you know you can count on give you the legal support you need both in and out of the courtroom. Our Indianapolis attorneys are dedicated to helping men with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

It is our mission to be advisors and advocates for men before, during and after divorce.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Cordell & Cordell’s Indianapolis attorneys exclusively practice family law with a focus on men’s divorce so they better understand the challenges you are likely to face as a man and father in the family court system.

Our Indianapolis attorneys can handle a broad range of family law issues from uncontested divorce to complex asset division.

Divorce is a difficult process, but you never have to face it alone.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Joseph E. Cordell and his wife, Yvonne, founded Cordell & Cordell in 1990 to try to level the playing field for men in family law. Since then, the firm has grown to more than 100 offices across the United States and in 2015 opened its first international office in the United Kingdom.

With more than 200 attorneys practicing nationwide, Cordell & Cordell is one of the largest family law firms serving men in the world.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Indianapolis Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Indianapolis before I can file for divorce?

You must live in the state of Indiana for six months to file for divorce and in the particular county for three months to file for divorce in that county.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Indianapolis before a divorce can be granted?

In Indiana, there is a 60-day waiting period, which starts on the date of filing the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.

A divorce in Indiana can take, at a minimum, 60 days, but the vast majority of dissolution cases take several months depending on the issues and how agreeable the parties are.

How can I serve my spouse in Marion County? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

You can serve your spouse via certified mail, by sheriff, or by private process server. On the Summons you file with your Petition for Dissolution, you will indicate how you wish your spouse to be served.

If your spouse’s whereabouts are unknown and you have made diligent efforts to locate her, you can serve your spouse via publication. Contact the local publication of the county in which the proceeding is taking place to set up service.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Marion County?

To file for dissolution, you need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and a Summons for the court to submit to the opposing party. Make sure you include multiple copies of the Petition and Summons, so that the court may keep a copy, and so that your spouse will receive a copy by whatever method of service you choose.

If you would like to ask the court to issue temporary orders regarding custody, child support, or payment of monthly marital debts, you can also file a Praecipe for Provisional Hearing.

If you are requesting a provisional hearing, you should include a proposed order setting the hearing for the court to fill out when it grants your request. Also, make sure you request a specific amount of time for your hearing if you will need more than 15 minutes.

Where do I file for divorce in Indianapolis?

In Marion County, you will file the Petition with the clerk’s office in the city-county building, who will then assign the case to a Marion County Superior Court in the Civil Division.

How much are filing fees in Marion County?

Filing fees for Marion County are $156, plus an additional $13 if you are requesting the sheriff serve your spouse.

Are there any Marion County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

In Marion County, both parties must fill out and file a financial declaration form within 30 days of filing the Petition for Dissolution, if litigation is anticipated.

If the parties file an Agreement, financial declaration forms do not need to be filed with the court.

Indianapolis Client Testimonials

"If I have a problem that arises, [my attorney] gets back to me immediately, even after business hours. I have no complaints about him whatsoever. [My attorney] has done everything I've asked of him."
"[My attorney] was absolutely amazing. He came prepared for anything at the hearing. I was blown away with everything from start to finish. It was worth every penny."
"I'm very satisfied with everything [my attorney] has done so far.  Excellent service, first-class knowledge and very professional."
Show More