Troy Divorce Attorneys For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights


Cordell & Cordell is a partner dads can count on during one of the toughest challenges of their lives. The family law attorneys at our Troy, Michigan, office are dedicated to helping men with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

Our mission is to give men the legal support they and their children deserve both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Divorce takes an emotional toll on everyone, no matter how tough you are. The decisions you make during this time will have an enormous impact on you financially for the rest of your life.

More importantly, your level of involvement in your children’s lives can also be affected. Our attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court.

We know how critical this transition is and promise to walk you through each step of the process while doing everything possible to protect what’s most important to you.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Since 1990, Cordell & Cordell has fought against numerous stereotypes that men and fathers face in the family court system. Our firm’s focus on men’s divorce gives our attorneys a unique understanding of the challenges men face in a Michigan family law courtroom.

Despite battling a system that seems predisposed against them, Cordell & Cordell has risen to establish ourselves as a partner men can count on.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Troy Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Oakland County to file for divorce?

You must have resided in Oakland County for 10 days before filing for divorce in that county.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Oakland County before a divorce can be granted?

For a divorce that involves minor children, there is a six-month waiting period before a divorce can be granted. For a divorce that does not involve minor children, there is a 60-day waiting period before a divorce can be granted.

How can I serve my spouse in Oakland County? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

You can serve your spouse in one of three ways:

1) By certified mail, return-receipt requested;
2) By process server; or
3) By handing the complaint to your spouse and having him or her sign an acknowledgment of service.

The court will only grant service by publication if you can show that your spouse is purposely and willingly avoiding service, and that despite your diligent efforts, you are not able to serve your spouse using the above methods. You would need to obtain the court’s permission to do this.

If the court granted your motion for alternate service by publication, normally you would be required to publish the notice in a newspaper that is local to where your spouse lives, for a period of three consecutive weeks.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Oakland County?

In Oakland County, you need to file:

1) Verified Complaint for Divorce
2) Summons
3) Verified Statement and Application for IV-D Services (if the divorce involves minor children)

At what courthouse do I file for divorce in Oakland County?

Divorces are filed in the Oakland County Circuit Court located at 1200 N. Telegraph Rd. in Pontiac.

How much are filing fees like at the Oakland County Circuit Court?

The filing fee for a divorce without children is $175, and the filing fee for a divorce with a child or children is $255. The additional $80 is a judgment entry fee for child support and child custody, and it may be charged at the beginning or at the end of the case.

Are there any Oakland County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Each county has the ability to set its own local rules regarding certain aspects of your case.

Some counties will require you to fill out additional forms when filing your divorce, including a “record of divorce.” Some counties will require you to serve Friend of the Court handbooks along with the Summons and Complaint.

These jurisdictional differences are usually minor.

Troy Client Testimonials

"[My attorney] definitely communicated everything very well and in terms I could understand. Overall, I think your firm does a wonderful job representing men. It was much appreciated."
"[My attorney] has been great! Excellent value for [the] money and a pleasure to work with. Frankly, she has changed my outlook and experience working with divorce attorneys. She was quick to do live calculations as it relates to child support, which was extremely helpful. She struck an excellent balance between pushing and listening."
"[My attorney] always put my needs first. She provided good advice and would even call and check in on me, which was helpful."
Show More