Ann Arbor Divorce Lawyers For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights

Ann Arbor

The transition through divorce is often chaotic and scary. Your living situation is thrown into flux. Your financial future is uncertain. Most importantly, the role you play in your kids’ lives could be changing.

During this hectic time, our Ann Arbor, Michigan, attorneys can help provide you with a sense of stability by carefully walking you through each step of the divorce process. Our attorneys work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court and are always available to listen to whatever concerns you may have.

Our Ann Arbor, Mich., attorneys understand the challenges you face as a man and father and they will work with you as you move on to the next chapter of your life.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

The family law attorneys at Cordell & Cordell’s Ann Arbor office can handle a broad range of family law matters from uncontested divorce to complex asset division. They are dedicated to helping men through any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

Through each step of the divorce process, Cordell & Cordell’s Ann Arbor attorneys make it their mission to be advisors and advocates for men.

Advocates For Dads’ Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Joseph E. Cordell and his wife, Yvonne, founded Cordell & Cordell in 1990 to try to help men and fathers level the playing field in divorce courts.

Since then the firm has expanded with more than 100 offices across the United States. In 2015, the firm opened its first international office in the United Kingdom.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Ann Arbor Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Ann Arbor before I can file for divorce?

One of the spouses, or both, must reside in Washtenaw County for at least 10 days immediately preceding the filing for divorce. This means, a spouse can file in Washtenaw County if his wife resides there, and he can file in Washtenaw County if he resides there but his wife has moved to a different county.

Similarly, one of the spouses, or both, must reside in the State of Michigan for at least 180 days immediately preceding the filing. Temporary absences with the intent to return are allowed.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Ann Arbor before a divorce can be granted? How long will a divorce take?

Yes. Absent exceptional circumstances, there is a mandatory waiting period of 60 days for a divorce without minor children involved and a mandatory waiting period of six months for a divorce with a minor child or children involved. Some judges will waive the waiting period if all issues are settled.

The typical divorce without children takes three months to one year of the date of filing, and the typical divorce with a child or children takes six months to one year.

The State of Michigan Court Administrative Office encourages judges to complete divorces within one year of the date of filing. However, the length can be shorter or longer depending on the facts of the case.

How can I serve my spouse in Ann Arbor? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

If the served spouse signs an acknowledgment of service, service can be effected in any manner, even first class mail and e-mail depending on the judge.

Otherwise, the preferred methods of service are personal, in-hand delivery or certified mail, return receipt requested, and receipt restricted to the spouse’s residence.

If service cannot be effected and that is made known to the judge, as well as the attempts to effect service, the judge will allow service by publication.

Where do I file for divorce in Ann Arbor?

All divorces are processed through the Washtenaw County Circuit Court, which is located at 101 East Huron Street in downtown Ann Arbor. This court is also known commonly as the Washtenaw Trial Court.

How much are divorce filing fees?

The filing fee for a divorce without children is $175, and the filing fee for a divorce with a child or children is $255. The additional $80 is a judgment entry fee for child support and child custody, and it may be charged at the beginning or at the end of the case.

Are there any Ann Arbor-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Yes. Washtenaw County is mediation-oriented, and the spouses will receive letters and notices regarding the mediation process and the expectation that they will engage in mediation in an effort to resolve all issues in their case.

Washtenaw County also has unique Pretrial Statement forms available online at the Washtenaw County Circuit Court’s website.

Ann Arbor Client Testimonials

"I think communication has been fantastic, both with [my attorney] directly and the office itself. Any questions or issues I have, I get immediate responses within 24 hours. I have been very satisfied with the firm so far."
"Laura did a great job!  She was very thorough and knew her job well.  The interpersonal relationships worked out good.  It's not just about knowing the law but how you interact with people, and she's good at that."
"Laura is professional and made me feel like she really cared about our case. She took care of everything we asked of her. The end result was what we all wanted as I got custody of my daughter."
Show More