Greenwood Village Divorce Lawyers For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights

Greenwood Village

Cordell & Cordell is a partner dads can count on during one of the toughest challenges of their lives. The family law attorneys at our Greenwood Village, Colorado, office are dedicated to helping men with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

Our mission is to give men the legal support they and their children deserve both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Divorce takes an emotional toll on everyone, no matter how tough you are. The decisions you make during this time will have an enormous impact on you financially for the rest of your life.

More importantly, your level of involvement in your children’s lives can also be affected. Our attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court.

We know how critical this transition is and promise to walk you through each step of the process while doing everything possible to protect what’s most important to you.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Since 1990, Cordell & Cordell has fought against numerous stereotypes that men and fathers face in the family court system. Our firm’s focus on men’s divorce gives our attorneys a unique understanding of the challenges men face in a Colorado family law courtroom.

Despite battling a system that seems predisposed against them, Cordell & Cordell has risen to establish ourselves as a partner men can count on.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Greenwood Village Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Greenwood Village before I can file for divorce?

Greenwood Village does not have a specific residency requirement, but it is subject to a 90-day state of Colorado residency requirement.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Greenwood Village before a divorce can be granted? How long will a divorce take?

The mandatory waiting period is 90 days. Colorado rules do not allow any activity on the case to take place, other than the exchanging of financial information and the Initial Status Conference, for the first 40 days after the Petition is filed. It would probably take a minimum of 2-5 months to get even the least complex divorces finalized and at least 6-12 months to finalize complex divorces. Some cases take well over a year if there are contested child custody issues, substantial amounts of property to divide, and other such issues.

How can I serve my spouse in Greenwood Village? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

You would serve your spouse by utilizing a private process server or a sheriff/constable. You can serve by publication by filing a motion with the court that meets certain requirements, including attaching affidavits or other evidence to substantiate what efforts you made to personally serve your spouse and obtaining a court order to allow you to serve the other party by publication. In the Greenwood Village area, the notice would typically be published in the Denver Post because it’s a national publication that would (theoretically) provide notice to persons both in and outside of the state of Colorado.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Greenwood Village?

In Denver County, you have to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, a Case Information Sheet, and a Summons to begin a divorce action and you have to serve all of them on the other party. However, there may be additional documents you would have to serve in the outlying counties other than Denver County, which vary by the different Judicial Districts in which those different counties lie.

Where do I file for divorce in Denver County?

All divorce cases have to be filed with the Office of the District Clerk in whichever Judicial District the county of residence lies, which will then assign the case to a particular division of the District Court in that county (assuming that county has more than one division). However, many counties, such as Denver, now require that all documents be e-filed in all divisions rather than physically being paper-filed with the Clerk’s Office (though most counties give pro se litigants some leeway on this, at least as to the initial filing). The city of Denver lies primarily in Denver County, but also extends to several nearby counties, such as Adams, Broomfield, Arapahoe, Douglas, and Elbert counties. For Denver County, you need to file at the courthouse located 1437 Bannock Street in Denver. For the outlying counties in the city of Denver, go to whichever District Court of the Judicial District in which your county of residence lies. Visit the Colorado Courts by District website to learn which Judicial District you reside in and where you should file your divorce papers.

How much are the filing fees at the Denver County District Court?

Filing fees are $230 to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.

Are there any Denver County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Although local customs and standards of practice often differ by county and/or division, there are no legal or procedural rules that differ because all of them are promulgated and applied on a statewide basis.

Greenwood Village Client Testimonials

"[Michael] kept me really well informed and put things in for me and made sure everything was done right.  He really took care of things.  I would definitely go back to him and the firm if I ever needed help again."