Sacramento Divorce Attorneys For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights


Divorce is one of the toughest challenges you will ever face. The decisions made during this process will have an enormous impact on the rest of your life.

During this trying time, you need a partner you can count on to help you reach your goals in family court. Our Sacramento, California, attorneys are there to walk you through each step of the divorce process so you never have to face it alone.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Cordell & Cordell’s Sacramento attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children in family court.

Our Sacramento attorneys exclusively practice family law with a focus on men’s divorce, which gives them a greater understanding of the family court system and the unique challenges it presents to you as a man and father.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

For more than 25 years, Cordell & Cordell has fought against stereotypes that men and fathers face in the family court system.

The firm was founded in 1990 by Joseph E. Cordell and his wife, Yvonne, and it has since grown into one of the world’s largest family law firms serving men with over 100 offices in the Unites States. Cordell & Cordell expanded internationally in May 2015 when it opened its first office in the United Kingdom.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Sacramento Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Sacramento before I can file for divorce?

You must be a resident of the State of California for at least six months and a resident of the county in which you file for at least three months before filing a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. There is no residency requirement for filing a Petition for Legal Separation.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Sacramento before a divorce can be granted?

There is a six-month waiting period in California before the divorce can become final.

How can I serve my spouse in Sacramento? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

You can publish a serve in the local paper. After a certain number of serves a document can be filed with the court to show the attempts that have been made. The court may hear the matter, and you could also attempt to file for a default judgment.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Sacramento?

The forms needed are Petition for Dissolution, Summons, and Proof of Service. A UCCJEA Declaration also needs to be filed when there are minor children involved.

Where do I file for divorce in California?

In the county and Superior Court where you reside. You can also file in the county where the opposing party resides assuming she has been living there at least three months.

How much are filing fees for a California divorce?

The first appearance fee is $435.

Are there any Sacramento-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

No. The only difference would be that there are often local forms regarding child custody and ex parte motions. Consult a local men’s divorce attorney for information regarding those forms.

Sacramento Client Testimonials

"Everything was done in a timely manner. The firm provided a great support system. Overall, the firm and the attorneys were great."
"[My attorney] was exactly the attorney I was looking for. He gave me the one-on-one attention and always got back with me right away, even after hours. [My attorney] is not only a great attorney but a great guy as well. I am very satisfied."
"[My attorney] was wonderful in both returning calls and keeping me informed.  I already have referred someone.  [My attorney] was excellent in his strategy, keeping me informed, staying on top of things that needed to be done, and ... in just preparing me for the day of the hearing. [My attorney] was wonderful in court and in keeping his cool, calm manner ... He is an excellent attorney and a strong representative of your firm."
Show More