Omaha Divorce Lawyers For Men | Cordell & Cordell
Call Us Fathers' Rights


This office also handles Iowa cases.

Going through a divorce is one of the toughest challenges you will ever face. It throws nearly every aspect of your life into a state of chaos.

During this difficult time, you need a partner you can count on to help you make the best decisions for your future. Our Omaha, Nebraska, attorneys can help you with any divorce issue, including property division, alimony, child support and child custody.

It is our mission to give men the legal support they and their children deserve both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Our Omaha attorneys exclusively practice family law with a focus on men’s divorce. That gives them a strong understanding of the unique challenges you’re likely to face in the family court system as a man and father.

Divorce is a difficult process, but you don’t have to face it alone.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Joseph E. Cordell and his wife, Yvonne, founded Cordell & Cordell in 1990 in an effort to help level the playing field for men in family law cases.

In the years since, Cordell & Cordell has grown into one of the largest family law firms serving men in the world with more than 100 offices across the United States. In May 2015, the firm expanded internationally by opening an office in the United Kingdom.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Omaha Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Omaha before I can file for divorce?

You need to live in the state of Nebraska with the intention of making the state your permanent residence for one year prior to filing.

There is no restriction as to how long you have lived in Douglas County and only one party needs to reside in the county in which you file.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Omaha before a divorce can be granted?

The state of Nebraska requires a 60-day period to elapse after the opposing party has entered a voluntary appearance or been served by the sheriff before a final hearing can be scheduled.

Typically, the soonest a final order is entered is about three months after the initial filing.

How can I serve my spouse in Omaha? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

State law provides that service can be made by two methods, personal service or substitute service, which includes service by publication. Court permission must be obtained before substitute service can be attempted.

Service by publication must be made in “some newspaper printed in the county where the complaint is filed.” Douglas County has several such publications.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Douglas County?

The forms necessary for a divorce in Douglas County are: Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage, Birthdate and Social Security Number Form, Vital Statistics Worksheet and a Confidential Party Information Form.

Also, applications for spousal support or alimony must be accompanied by a statement of the party’s financial condition and the condition of the opposing party, if known.

Where do I file for divorce?

You can file your Complaint, and accompanying forms, on the 3rd floor of the Douglas County Courthouse located at 1701 Farnam St.

How much are filing fees at the Douglas County Courthouse?

You will need to bring a check or money order for $157.

Are there any Douglas County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

The 4th Judicial District, in which Douglas County sits, requires a party to register for the basic level parenting class within 10 days of filing the Complaint, if there are children involved.

The opposing party will need to register for this class within 10 days of service of process. Registration is done through the Conciliation Court by calling 402.444.7168.

Once each party has taken the parenting class, the Conciliation Court will assign a mediator, who will contact the parties to schedule mediation. Though mediation is required in almost all cases involving custody and visitation, the process in Douglas County is unique.

If the parties come to an agreement on a Parenting Plan together without a mediator, then the Parenting Plan must be submitted to the Conciliation Court for approval.

Omaha Client Testimonials

"Nancy is doing everything she can. She's been very helpful and right on the ball with everything. I've very happy with everything she's been doing and appreciate everything."  
"I think she's fantastic.... I really enjoyed working with her. Everyone in that office was just great."
"Nancy is fantastic! She does the very best she can. ... I imagine my case has to be one of the most difficult she's faced. Even when things look hopeless, she helps me to find a shred of light at the end of the tunnel. Nancy is a great lawyer. I'll be sad when I move to California and won't be able to use her anymore."
Show More