Skip to main content
Cordell & Cordell
Child Custody Law Mount Laurel

You’ll need a partner you can count on.

Child Custody Law Mount Laurel

Child custody refers to the rights and obligations between parents, regarding their children, after a divorce, legal separation, or paternity decree.

Office Location Information

701 E. Gate Drive
Suite 310
Mt Laurel Township, NJ 08054

8:30 am – 5:30 pm


Where is the Mount Laurel Office? The Mount Laurel, NJ office is located at 701 E. Gate Drive Suite 310. If you are driving to the office from NJ-38W, take a slight left onto Fellowship Rd and turn right on E. Gate Rd. If you are coming from 38E turn right onto E. Gate Rd and the office will be on the right.

Parking: The entrance to the parking lot is off of E Gate Dr near the intersection of E Gate Dr and Fellowship Rd. This parking lot is free for all visitors.

Contact Our Offices

Often, the court designates one parent as the primary physical custodian, giving the other parent a schedule of temporary custody and visitation. In some cases, however, the court orders joint legal and physical custody, by which, both parents have substantial access to their children.

child with arguing parents

Physical Custody

Refers to the amount of time each parent is permitted physically with a child.
sick child with doctor

Legal Custody

Refers to a parent’s decision-making rights regarding a child’s health, education, and welfare
family with councilor

Custody Factors

Almost every state determines child custody issues based on a best-interest-of-the-child standard.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long do I have to live in Mt. Laurel before I can file for divorce?
Is there a mandatory waiting period in Mt. Laurel before a divorce can be granted?

There is no mandatory waiting period. The New Jersey courts want divorces to be completed within one year of the filing of the divorce complaint.

More complex divorces take longer than a year, but most are completed within a year.

How can I serve my spouse in Mt. Laurel? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

Service is normally completed by the sheriff in the county in which your spouse lives. A person may also use a courier service to personally serve their spouse.

Service by publication is allowed, but only after receiving permission from the court, which is done by filing a motion with the court and explaining all attempts to serve your spouse. The court generally directs you to which publication to publish the service in.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Mt. Laurel?

All of the forms for filing for divorce in Mt. Laurel can be found at these New Jersey divorce court websites:

Where do I file for divorce in Mt. Laurel?

Complaints for divorce must be filed in Superior Court of New Jersey in the county in which you reside:

In Burlington County (where Mt. Laurel is located), you would file at the Burlington County Courthouse located at 49 Rancocas Road in Mt. Holly.

Other nearby counties include Camden and Gloucester. To file for divorce in Camden County, go to the Camden County Courthouse located at 101 S. Fifth St. on the second floor in Camden.

In Gloucester County, you would file for divorce at the Gloucester County Justice Complex located at 70 Hunter St. in Woodbury.

For a list of locations in other counties, please visit:

How much are filing fees at the local courthouse?

A divorce complaint is $300 and an Answer and/or Counter-Claim is $175.

If there are children involved, there is also a $25 Parenting Education Class fee.

The fee is $50 for all Dissolution Motions and Cross-Motions. There is no fee for Non-Dissolution Motions and Cross Motions.