Call the Madison office at

Chat with us in the lower-right corner of the screen.

Email us via contact form

Cordell & Cordell’s Madison divorce lawyers aggressively champion for the best interests of their clients.

Featuring a comprehensive understanding of Wisconsin divorce law, our Madison divorce attorneys focus entirely on Madison divorce issues, including Wisconsin child custody laws, Wisconsin alimony laws and child support in Wisconsin.

When you retain a Cordell & Cordell attorney, we will work with you by providing top-notch client care, up-to-date notes on your case, an online child custody tool, and the best service possible.

View Larger Map

Frequently Asked Madison Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Madison to file for divorce?

In order to file for divorce in Madison, you must have lived in the state of Wisconsin for the preceding six months and in Dane County for at least 30 days.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Madison before a divorce can be granted?

There is a 120-day waiting period for all divorce cases in Wisconsin. This does not necessarily mean that you will be divorced on the 121st day.

Rather, the length of time will depend on a variety of factors including the ability of the parties to resolve issues outside of court and the court’s calendar.

How can I serve my spouse in Madison? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

A summons must be personally served on your spouse and proved either by affidavit of the spouse or the third party server.

If the spouse cannot be personally served with reasonable diligence, a copy of the summons may be left at the spouse’s usual dwelling in the presence of a competent family member at least 14 years of age.

If all else fails, the summons may be published in a newspaper. In Madison, the official newspaper for publication is the Wisconsin State Journal.

In cities of 250,000 people or less, the summons must appear in a publication likely to give notice in that area. If the spouse’s address is known, a copy of the summons and petition should be mailed prior to publication.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Madison?

You will need a Summons (unless joint petition), a Petition, a Confidential Petition Addendum, and an Original Certificate of Divorce or Annulment.

Where do I file for divorce if I live in Madison?

You need to file for divorce at the Dane County Courthouse located at 215 S. Hamilton St., Room 100, in Madison.

How much are filing fees at the Dane County Courthouse?

A Petition without request for maintenance or child support costs $184.50. A Petition with request for maintenance or support costs $194.50.

Are there any Dane County-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

Click the link for Dane County-specific checklists and court documents.