Nevada Divorce & Fathers' Rights Lawyers | Cordell & Cordell


Request a consultation.

Cordell & Cordell’s Nevada divorce lawyers and family law attorneys focus on domestic relations exclusively, including divorce in Nevada. Our divorce attorneys are licensed to practice law throughout the state, and we have offices in Henderson and Summerlin.

Family law matters can be difficult on all parties involved. Cordell & Cordell will work with you to provide professional service to you and your family during this difficult time. We are committed to providing you the best service possible.

To schedule an appointment with Nevada fathers rights lawyers, call 1-866-DADS-LAW or your local office.

Nevada Divorce FAQ

Does Nevada grant divorces based on marital fault?

Nevada is a "Pure No Fault" jurisdiction. Specifically, that means a judge cannot look at the conduct between the parties to make a decision; i.e. marital infidelity is irrelevant to divorce proceedings in Nevada.

Can I get alimony or will I have to provide alimony to my spouse?

Nevada's statutes provide that a judge has discretion to order or award alimony. The judge will utilize the need and ability to pay standard. Specifically, whether one spouse has a need for alimony, and whether the other spouse has the ability to provide that alimony to the other.

How is a divorce granted? Will I have to go to court?

A divorce is granted when a District Court Judge signs the Final Decree of Divorce, and it is entered with the District Court Clerk's record. You may have to appear in court depending on the type of action filed and whether the parties can amicably resolve the matter between themselves. Not finding the answer you are looking for? Browse our entire Nevada Divorce FAQ.

Nevada Child Custody Questions

Can a parent refuse to allow visitation if child support is not paid?

No. A parent/party does not have the ability/authority to prohibit the other parent/party from exercising their visitation if they are delinquent on court-ordered child support payments. In the event a parent/party is delinquent, the issue should be raised by motion to the court for intervention.

When can my child decide which parent to live with?

In Nevada, a judge has discretion to determine that a child has attained sufficient, intelligence, and maturity to determine which parent the child will reside with. This legal doctrine is known as "teenage discretion." There is no hard and fast age when this doctrine will be instituted. Its institution occurs solely at the discretion of the judge.

What is joint custody? What is sole custody?

In Nevada, there are two types of custody. 1. Legal custody encompasses which parent will make major life decisions for the parties' minor child(ren), i.e. what school the child will attend, what doctor the child will see, religious decisions, etc. 2. Physical custody encompasses which parent the child(ren) will live with. Therefore, when a Joint Custody arrangement is entered, whether it is legal or physical custody, each parent has an equal right to the child. When a parent is awarded Sole Custody that parent has complete control over the child, whether legally or physically. Not finding the answer you are looking for? Browse our entire Nevada Child Custody FAQ.

Cordell & Cordell Attorneys in Nevada