Louisiana Archives - Cordell & Cordell

Louisiana program helps fathers in need of child support money

A program that partners a court system in Louisiana and Goodwill Industries could help fathers in the area find work, as the point of this movement is to provide these individuals with a way to pay child support, according to the Shreveport Times.

Charles Ahart, an Arkansas native, was arrested and brought to court in Shreveport, Louisiana, due to the fact that he was unable to provide his child support payments.

The program helped him get his life back on track, and provided a support system so that he could give financial help to his daughter.

“I had no job, no money and no place to go,” he told the Times. “This program has really strengthened me. I went from having nothing to having a job, a house and now a fiancée.”

According to Goodwill Industries, the program is just one of the many job-help initiatives that exist across the country, as a similar effort was created in Macon, Georgia, to help residents get back on their feet.

How Much Child Support Should You Be Paying? Use the DadsDivorce.com Child Support Calculator

First child support felony warrant issued

Louisiana’s Ouachita Parish has issued its first criminal felony warrant for a woman is considerably behind on her child support payments, according to The Associated Press.

Sheriff’s deputies in Monroe are reaching out to law enforcement in other states to locate 41-year-old Mona Honaker White. She reportedly lives in Virginia, according to the media outlet, which said she allegedly owes $18,000 in child support.

Although Fourth Judicial District Attorney Jerry Jones told the AP the law making unpaid child support a felony changed in 2008, this case is Ouachita Parish’ first warrant issued since the change was initiated. Once White is located she will be extradited to the parish.

The news source did not say how many children White has or who has primary custody of them.

The statute of limitation to enforce a child support order in Louisiana is 10 years. Payments may be necessary beyond age 18 if a child is a full-time student in good standing and is a dependent to either parent.