Call Us Fathers' Rights


No matter how tough you are, divorce can wipe you out emotionally. The dissolution of a marriage changes your living situation, it threatens your financial security, and it can even affect your relationship with your kids.

You don’t have to face this challenging time alone. You can count on our Austin, Texas, attorneys to work diligently to give you the legal guidance you need both in and out of the courtroom.

Our Austin attorneys know how stressful this transition is. They’ll listen to your concerns and work with you to achieve your goals in court so that you can move on to the next chapter of your life.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Our Austin divorce attorneys exclusively practice family law with a focus on men’s divorce. That enables them to have a better understanding of the unique challenges you are likely to face in family court as a man and father.

It is their mission to be advisors and advocates for men before, during and after divorce, with a passionate devoted to excellence.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Since 1990, Cordell & Cordell has helped level the playing field for men and fathers in the family court system.

The firm has grown to more than 100 offices across the United States and in May 2015 opened its first international office in the United Kingdom. With more than 200 attorneys practicing nationwide, we have become one of the largest family law firms serving men in the world.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Frequently Asked Austin Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Austin to file for divorce?

In Texas, you must reside in the county you plan on filing for divorce in for the preceding 90-day period and be a resident. You must also have been a domiciliary of Texas for the preceding 6-month period.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in Austin before a divorce can be granted? How long will a divorce take?

There is a mandatory 60-day waiting period before a divorce can be granted no matter where you are located in Texas. The length of the divorce varies depending on the complexity of the issues in the case.

How can I serve my spouse in Austin? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

You can serve your spouse in Travis or Williamson counties by the constable or by a private process server. If the attempts do not work you can request to serve the opposing party by publication.

If you are able to serve by publication then the district clerk will direct you to the correct publications for your specific county to publish. Typically, courts handle this portion themselves.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Austin?

To file a divorce in Travis and Williamson counties, you will need to file a Petition for Divorce. If there are children included in the divorce, you will also need to include a statement of Health Insurance Availability.

Where do I file for divorce in Austin?

If you reside in Travis County, you must go to the District Court located at 1000 Guadalupe in Austin to file for divorce.

If you reside in Williamson County, you must go to the District Clerk located at 405 MLK Blvd. in Georgetown.

How much are filing fees at the local courthouse?

In Travis County, the filing fee for a Petition for Divorce without children is $258, and the filing fee for a Petition for Divorce with children is $273. In addition, a citation for service of the Petition for Divorce costs $8.

In Williamson County, the filing fee for a Petition for Divorce without children is $226, and the filing fee for a Petition for Divorce with children is $241. In addition, a citation for service of the Petition for Divorce costs $8.

Are there any Austin-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

In Travis County, there is a Standing Order Regarding Children, Property and Conduct of the Parties, which goes into effect immediately upon the filing of the Petition for Divorce. This order sets forth basic rules and orders to protect the parties’ safety and well-being as well as their property.

In Williamson County, there is not a Standing Order. In order to get the same protection as the Travis County Standing Order, a temporary restraining order must be signed by the judge.

Austin Client Testimonials


“Raul has been very responsive and patient with me. He is good at making time and clearing up things for me when I need it. … You guys have been very easy to work with, and I’m very pleased with the experience so far.”


“I think Cassandra did a great job with keeping me updated every step of the way. I’m sure to her my case was very basic, but to me my case was unique and I felt she treated it that way, which was great. She kept me completely updated, and I never had to wait for her responses or wonder what was happening next. She is great with communication!”


“I would like to tell Raul how much I truly appreciated his candor, honesty and support with letting me vent at times. I can admit that I ran into some financial issues and Raul was willing to work with me on this as well. Overall, Raul was just fantastic.”