Call the Raleigh office at

Chat with us in the lower-right corner of the screen.

Email us via contact form

Cordell & Cordell has Raleigh divorce lawyers working diligently to help men navigate the complex and confusing process of divorce.

Featuring a comprehensive understanding of North Carolina divorce law, our Raleigh family law attorneys focus entirely on Raleigh divorce issues, including North Carolina child custody laws, North Carolina alimony laws and child support in North Carolina.

View Larger Map

Frequently Asked Raleigh Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Raleigh to file for divorce?

Either the Plaintiff or Defendant must have resided in the state for six (6) months prior to filing for divorce in North Carolina.

Is there a mandatory waiting period in this Raleigh before a divorce can be granted? How long will a divorce take?

In North Carolina, the parties must live separate and apart for one year and one day prior to filing a divorce. After the parties have lived separate and apart for at least one year, a party can petition the court for a divorce.

It is difficult to predict how long a divorce will take, as it is case by case. However, once the opposing party is served, that party has 30 days to file responsive pleadings or waive his/her right to file a response before the court can enter a final divorce decree.

How can I serve my spouse in Raleigh? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

A party can serve the opposing party by sheriff of the county where service is to be completed or by a duly authorized person, registered or certified mail, or by a designated delivery service.

You may serve by publication, but only after you attempt to serve the opposing party by personal service, registered or certified mail, or other authorized delivery service. A local newspaper that is qualified for legal advertisements in the area that the opposing party is believed to reside or, if unknown, in the county where the action is filed can be contacted for this purpose.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Raleigh?

In North Carolina, the initiating party must first file a Complaint to initiate the divorce action. A Summons must also be properly filed to initiate a divorce action.

Where do I file for divorce in Wake County?

A party residing in Wake County will go the Wake County Courthouse to file his/her divorce complaint. The Wake County Courthouse is located at 316 Fayetteville St. in Raleigh.

How much are filing fees at the Wake County Courthouse?

In Wake County, if a party is filing for a divorce only, the filing fee is $225. If the party wishes to resume a former name, there is an additional charge of $10. The fee to serve the opposing party via sheriff is $30.

Are there any Raleigh-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

In North Carolina, most Judicial Districts have a set of specific local rules relevant to domestic cases filed within that particular jurisdiction. Consult with a Raleigh divorce lawyer for specific information on the rules and procedures of the local court.