Call Us Fathers' Rights


Divorce isn’t something you plan for. When it happens, it can feel like you are suddenly going to lose everything that is important to you.

This isn’t a process you should ever have to face alone. Our Edina, Minnesota, attorneys are here to give you the legal support you need both in and out of the courtroom.

Divorce Attorneys Dedicated to Helping Men

Our Edina attorneys take the time to listen to your concerns and will help you establish goals you want to achieve in court. They will work diligently to champion your rights and the rights of your children and are committed to being advisors and advocates for men before, during, and after divorce.

We know how critical the transition through divorce is. We will walk you through each step of the process and help you start the next chapter of your life.

Advocates For Dad’s Rights and Fathers’ Rights

Cordell & Cordell was founded in 1990 by Joseph E. Cordell and his wife, Yvonne. Ever since the firm has fought against the numerous stereotypes men and fathers face in the family court system.

Cordell & Cordell has grown to one of the largest family law firms serving men in the world with over 100 offices across the United States. The firm expanded internationally in 2015 by opening its first office in the United Kingdom.

At Cordell & Cordell, we understand the unique challenges military families face during divorce.

Client Testimonials


“John is an amazing attorney and an incredibly gifted and friendly person. I got quality representation and wonderful service [from] John, his staff and corporate support staff. I could not have gotten a better result either – I have no complaints. …”


“Like a lot of people, I didn’t like lawyers very much. … Mr. Bradley Marsicek has forever slain that stereotype in the mind of this very satisfied client.  From the very first meeting with Mr. Marsicek, I knew that this was going to be a different kind of experience. I was a shaken wreck at that opening meeting, in an absolutely terrified panic that my six-year-old daughter and I were going to be torn apart. Bradley calmed me down and opened my eyes and mind with targeted, intelligent questions, reassurances made without implausible promises, effective listening and, in response to my description of the situation, a clear strategy that made sense and fit me personally.   Throughout the months of preparation his advice and guidance not only made strategic sense but also felt right from an ethical standpoint. I did not have to compromise my personal sense of integrity.  … In the process of achieving that victory he earned the respect of the judge, the opposing counsel and the witnesses from both sides.  Mr. Bradley Marsicek has earned my deepest respect and gratitude. … Even though all of my legal fees are paid, I will forever be deeply indebted to Brad for his diligence, instinct and … hard work on my behalf. Cordell & Cordell are very fortunate to have this brilliant attorney and fine human being on their team.”


“Everything with Jonah and the firm has been very professional. Jonah always gets back to me in a timely fashion. I’ve enjoyed being able to bounce ideas back and forth with him because I’ve never been through this before. He has been really good about educating me on the process as we go.”

Frequently Asked Edina Divorce Questions

How long do I have to live in Edina before I can file for divorce?

Either the Mother or Father must have resided in the state for six (6) months prior to filing for divorce in Minnesota.

How long will a divorce in Edina take?

There is no mandatory waiting period before filing a divorce.

It is difficult to predict how long a divorce will take, as it is case by case. However, once the opposing party is served, that party has 30 days to file responsive pleadings or waive his/her right to file a response before the court can enter a final divorce decree.

How can I serve my spouse in Edina? If attempts to serve do not work, can I serve by publication?

A party can serve the opposing party by sheriff of the county where service is to be completed or by a duly authorized person. The court can order a party be served by certified mail or publication.

A local newspaper that is qualified for legal advertisements in the area that the opposing party is believed to reside or, if unknown, in the county where the action is filed can be contacted for this purpose.

What are the specific forms I will need to file for a divorce in Edina?

To begin a dissolution you will need to file a Summons and Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. The court will require others forms as you go through the dissolution but these two will file a dissolution.

Where do I file for divorce in Edina?

A party residing in Hennepin County will go the Family Justice Center to file his/her divorce petition. The Family Justice Center is located at 110 South Fourth Street, Room 600, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55401.

A party residing in Ramsey County will go to the Second Judicial District Family Court, which is located at Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Blvd, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55102.

How much are divorce filing fees?

In Hennepin County, if a party is filing for a divorce only, the filing fee is $402. If the party files any other family law matter, the filing fee is $372.  If a party wishes to file a motion on an existing file, the motion fee is $100.

In Ramsey County, if a party is filing for any family action, the filing fee is $400. If the party is filing a motion on an existing file, the motion fee is $100.

Are there any Edina-Specific laws that are different from how other family law cases around the state are handled?

In Minnesota, most Judicial Districts have a set of specific local rules relevant to domestic cases filed within that particular jurisdiction. Consult with an Edina divorce lawyer for specific information on the rules and procedures of the local court.